Monday 29 August 2011

WHY STUDENTS FAIL EXAMS (3)


From the previous write-ups , you got to know that it is not just about reading but reading with direction.  
STUDY THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY :
2nd EXAMPLE :
I just passed a written aptitude test and interview conducted by a graduate-trainee outfit . The exams were VERY TOUGH. And I guess you want to know if I passed . Okay ,I have an option to keep you waiting but i’ll just tell you straight-I PASSED . I passed with a B+.  You want to know why ? I did not think I was going to pass with this grade level .
I got  into the exam hall and once we were served the questions , I discovered we had just been given thirty minutes to solve about fifty questions. Now . you know  , I do not exaggerate. SO , I mean fifty ‘solid’ questions. I concentrated  on the questions I could easily give answers to and immediately did justice to them. I knew I did not have time on my hands , so I decided to make sure all the questions I answered were correct . I did a lot of thinking before ticking an option and although I could not finish all the  questions , I still made a good grade.
This is an area where many students ‘blow it’. After studying carefully  and expecting to have all the best  grades , some students go in and do not  take the  time to  go through the questions before putting down answers . The result is students who write O.P- Off Point. If you have written off point and you are wondering why even after writing all you did , you did not make your desired grades.
LOOK THROUGH YOUR ANSWER SHEET
Now if you are not familiar with the use of past  questions , you are doing some serious harm to yourself. You should try to  use past questions because they help you familiarize with the lecturers mindset and what he expects from you when you are writing his papers. You should endeavor to me save enough time to look then your answer booklet. Correct your mistakes . Cross your T’s and dot your  I’s.  The reason many students overlook  this is either due to over-confidence or carelessness .If  you miss this , you would pay dearly.
3RD EXAMPLE :
A lecturer once told us to box’ our answers after solving the exam problems. He did not want to look at the steps taken-Just the answer in a box. I did solve the problems , but I did not ‘box’ my answers. I also did not  ‘save’ enough time to go through my work and it cost me a  lot.
To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment